From the Amazon Listing:
X-Sense CO03JF Battery Powered Carbon Monoxide Alarm Sensor Alarm Meter Tester with Backlight Digital Display
- Electrochemical gas sensor of this CO alarm is highly sensitive at detecting carbon monoxide leaks in your home
- The alarm sounds with a volume of up to 85 dB to alert all household members when it detects carbon monoxide
- With a built-in memory, the alarm can display the highest CO concentration measured since the last reset
- You may silence the alarm by pressing the test button when it produces nuisance alerts
- Comes with a mounting bracket, 2 screws and 2 anchor plugs, and can be easily installed in all homes
Carbon monoxide (CO) is invisible, odorless and yet lethally poisonous. The electrochemical gas sensor of this carbon monoxide alarm is highly sensitive at detecting carbon monoxide leaks in your home and protects all your family against deadly threats. Please note that this alarm does not sense smoke, heat, flames, or other hazardous gas.
The LED indicator on this alarm flashes in green every 50 seconds in the standby condition to confirm that the unit is functioning normally. The alarm sounds with a volume of up to 85 dB to alert all household members when it detects 30 ppm of carbon monoxide for 120 minutes, 50 ppm for 60-90 minutes, 100 ppm for 10-40 minutes, or 300 ppm for 3 minutes. You may silence the alarm by pressing the test button when it produces nuisance alerts. The alarm will also automatically reset when the hazardous conditions have passed. With a built-in memory, the alarm can display the highest carbon monoxide concentration measured since the last reset.
This alarm comes with a mounting bracket, 2 screws and 2 anchor plugs, and can be easily installed in houses, apartments, mobile homes and dormitory rooms. We recommend that the alarm should be located between sleeping areas and potential sources of CO leaks such as living rooms and kitchens. Please refer to the user manual for detailed instructions.
Carbon monoxide is kind of terrifying – odorless, invisible, and deadly. My husband and I and our four (soon to be five) children recently have a 100+ year old house (radiator heated by a gas-powered steam boiler). We already had an older (but still functional) carbon monoxide detector that we installed right after buying the house, before we even moved in, but we knew our large two-story house needed more than one. And this carbon monoxide detector from X-Sense is great!
Living in an older house, I believe that there’s no such thing as too many (or enough!) carbon monoxide detectors. And this one comes with everything you need, including two AA batteries so you can put it to work right away. Also included are two screws and two anchors for hanging it up. There’s a circular mounting plate that you attach to the wall with those two screws, and then the batteries are installed into an open compartment on the back of the CO detector (that section rests against the mounting plate, and the detector itself is held in place with tabs on the mounting plate, making battery installation and changes very quick and easy).
There are three indicator lights top and center of the detector – power, alarm, and fault – with an LCD display underneath. When all is well, the green power light flashes about every 30 seconds to let you know it’s working and the display screen is blank. One of my favorite features of this particular detector is that it measures both the specific levels of carbon monoxide as well as the length of time that level has been present. If there are dangerous carbon monoxide levels, in addition to an audible alarm, the red alarm light would blink every ten seconds and the screen would display the level of carbon monoxide detected (from 30 to 999 ppm). The response time of the alarm varies based on the amount of carbon monoxide detected. The minimum level is 30 ppm of carbon monoxide for 120 minutes, but it only takes 3 minutes if it detects 300 ppm of carbon monoxide. It also automatically resets when the danger has passed. Another great feature is the built-in memory. The test/hush button on the front of the detector also has a “peak level” indicator, which when pressed will tell you the highest carbon monoxide concentration since the last time you reset it (cleared the memory). That’s a terrific feature to alert you to potential problems ahead of time, before they become critical.
I definitely plan on purchasing at least a couple more of these detectors, both to replace our old detector and to add additional layers of safety to our home. At minimum you want one CO detector on each level of your house (including at the top of the basement stairs), but for extra safety you can add detectors in each bedroom and in the basement itself (but at least 20 feet away from any fuel burning heat source).